Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Discussion questions from pages 67-85 (or 1923-1927):
1. Do you think Eva loved her children? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Hannah was satisfied with the response Eva gave for why she killed Plum? Were you?
3. Sula watched her mother burn to death. Did the fear paralyze her or was she interested like Eva said?
4. Jude pressed Nel about getting married because he wanted to take on a man's role. Do you think men today share his feelings?
5. a. What was Sula smiling about as she left the Nel's wedding reception and the Bottom?
b. Would Nel have responded differently to Sula leaving if she had known she was leaving for ten years?
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Discussion questions from pages 30-66 (or 1921-1922):
1. Why doesn't Eva ever discuss how she lost her leg?
2. Was Eva's decision to burn Plum out of mercy? Why or why not?
3. What were your thoughts about the discussion the women were having about children (56-57)?
4. Why do you think Morrison included the digging scene on page 58?
5. Why didn't either of the girls attempt to save Chicken Little?
Monday, June 27, 2011
Discussion questions from pages 1-29 (or 1919-1920):
1. Why does the "joke" of how the Bottom got started bring comfort?
2. Shadrack is only able to look at his hands after seeing his reflection. How is that significant?
3. Why was National Suicide Day accepted in Medallion? If you had a Shadrack in your neighborhood, would it have been accepted?
4. Why & how did the scene on the train change Nel (and her relationship with her mother)? Why did Helene smile?
5. Why did Nel's dream to leave Medallion die?
Monday, June 6, 2011
Are you interested in discussing Sula by Toni Morrison on Twitter? Fantastic!
When: June 27th-July 1st between 5pm-6pm
Where: On Twitter, of course. Use this hashtag to follow along ---> #Sula
I'll come up with a few questions to discuss each day for different parts of the book.
Monday: Pages 1-29
Tuesday: Pages 30-66
Wednesday: Pages 67-85
Thursday: Pages 86-137
Friday: Pages 138-174
...now all you have to do is get the book!
P.S. I am a bit nervous to lead a discussion
on Ms. Morrison, with her awesomeness and all,
but I'll do my best.
Saturday, June 4, 2011
Free. Is there a word more beautiful? If there is, I don't know it.
Free + book = Bliss
So, do you want to know how you can be a part of this equation?
If you would like my signed copy of Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones all you have to do is:
1. Leave a comment with your email address.
2. Follow my blog.
3. Follow me on Twitter.
4. Follow me to the ends of the Earth.
*Scratch that last one*
Contest ends June 30th.
I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner.
Winner announced July 1st.
Friday, June 3, 2011
Discussion questions from chapters 23-Epilogue:
1. What did you think about Gwen and Dana showing up at the Pink Fox?
2. Do you think Gwen and Dana would have been better off remaining in the shadows?
3. Which character did you identify with most in Silver Sparrow? Why?
4. Do you have a favorite passage in the book? What is it?
5. Who on Twitter would you recommend read Silver Sparrow?
Thursday, June 2, 2011
Discussion questions from chapters 18-22:
1. Laverne feels James doesn't want her to have friends after the indicident with Mary. Are her feelings justified?
2. Dana asks Laverne if she's "a happy person" and her response was "I don't know." What is preventing her from saying "yes"?
3. Dana tells Chaurisse that she loves her. Is Dana being sincere?
4. Why did Dana stay in the bathroom stall once it was clear her cover was busted?
5. Were you surprised that James was prepared to leave Dana alone at the gas station? Why or why not?
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Discussion questions from chapters 12-17:
1. Was Laverne's marriage to James (at fourteen) a good idea?
2. Did Laverne feel that she was raped?
3. Laverne refused to let Chaurisse "augment" her hair initial "because she didn't approve of girls dressing up like grown women" (185). Is there an appropriate age for allowing a young girl augment to her appearance? If so, when?
4. Do you think Dana thinks of herself as a silver girl? Do you?
5. Why do you think Chaurisse doesn't have any good girlfriends?