Thursday, October 6, 2011

@HoCoPoLitSo Event

Last night I went to listen to Tara Betts & Terrance Hayes read poetry in honor of Lucille Clifton. It was fantastic, cerebral fun.

Poets are interesting people.

Also met Tim Singelton & Linda Joy Burke which was nice because I follow them both on Twitter and they recognized me from my avi. They both encouraged me to submit to the Little Patuxent Review, so guess what I'm going to do? Submit of course, but first I need to write a social justice poem because that is the theme.

Terrance, I mean, Hayes...uh. Hold up, if I've met a poet twice can I call them by their first name?

*ponders*

Anyway, during the event I was going to ask a question about feeling like a poet, but Terrance basically answered my question without me saying a word. He said he felt like a poet when he was writing or grappling with a poem, but other times he felt like a teacher.

I probably should call him by his last name, but he was wearing two watches. Two watches. He obviously doesn't get hung up on formalities and staying inside the box.

And Ms. Tara relayed a wonderful compliment from Afaa Weaver about one of my bop poems that made me feel snuggly inside. I'm going to hold on to it for a grey day. While she's in town, I hope I can get her addicted to the Black Velvet cupcakes at Midnite Confections Cupcakery.

Can't wait to check out more events from HoCoPoLitSo.

2 comments:

JayTee said...

i love how much you love poetry!

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I'm a fangirl. I nerd out for poetry. :-)