Friday, January 7, 2011

32 Day Writing Challenge - Day 7

It’s one of those days where I don’t feel like writing anything. I’m tired. It’s been a long week, but the week after a two week break always seems to go at a slower than a snail walking through salt. I promised myself that would at least write 150 words each day.

I might as well talk about Lighthead by Terrance Hayes. I’ve been reading and rereading it this week and discussing it on Twitter. I’m taking my time with this book because I want to see what type of poetry wins a National Book Award, but poetry is subjective, right?

Out of ten poems, I find five of them intriguing:
1. “The Golden Shovel”
2. “The Last Train to Africa”
3. “A Plate of Bones”
4. “Hide”
5. “For Brothers of the Dragon”

For all of them except for #3, one of the major things that drew me in was the form.  That’s not to say that the content didn’t grab me too, it is just the common denominator. “Hide” already inspired me to write a poem in a similar form. It’s a poem I’ve sent out a few times, but no one has loved it yet. The pecha kucha form is terribly interesting, because it reads like a prose poem, and kind of like a screenplay. If I had seen this form earlier, I would have revised my Cave Canem submission packet.

More later…probably.

No comments: