Tuesday, January 4, 2011

32 Day Writing Challenge - Day 4

Yesterday, I did a written brainstorm on one of the novels-in-verse that floats perilously in my mind. This one I’ve called The Sun Journal and also The Snake Journal, but that could change, and probably will. This story crept in my mind first during my attempt to do NaNoWriMo last year. In case you didn’t know, I did not complete NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo defeated me; however it was kind enough to share this story idea with me.

Anyway, in this story that is waiting to be fully written, there is this character that is considered a bit unstable mentally. I figured since this character has gone through this experience that has shifted her mind, she should express herself in a poetic form that is a reflection of that chaos. The character is hiding something in her mind; she’s hiding the reason why she took this turn for the worse.

The poetry form that I came up with doesn’t have a name, but I’ve seen it a few times. The first time I saw it was in Salvador Plascentia’s The People of Paper. He did this thing where he would write several sentences and then he would black-out part of it, making it illegible. I guess you could call it a strikethrough. I’ve seen other poets do it also, as a matter of fact, one of the people who sent me a poetry postcard in August used that method and I told myself then I’d use it for something. I figured out that something.

No comments: