Saturday, January 15, 2011

32 Day Writing Challenge - Day 15

Oh it’s one of those days. Those "I don’t really have anything to write about" days. I’m writing anyway though.

I went to listen to Danielle Evans read from her collection of short stories on Friday. During the Q & A session – and I asked so many Q’s – Danielle made a comment about publishing that I found very interesting. She said something to the effect of how acceptances can be about luck; it depends on the person on the other end reading your work. Maybe that person’s experiences make them open to receive your writing, and if someone else grabbed it from the slush pile they might have thrown it straight in the trash can. That made me feel better and bad at the same time, but mostly better. So the lesson is to simply write as much as you can, send it out just as often, and hope for the best.

In other news, I signed up for a poetry writing workshop at The Writer’s Center. I’m looking forward to it. I hope it jumpstarts my writing. It would be great to get five strong poems out of the experience and meet some local writers that would be willing to continue workshopping after the class ends, or maybe even find that the instructor could potentially write a recommendation letter for me whenever I gather up enough guts to apply to an MFA program.

Well, time to read some poetry from an expert, namely, Rita Dove (Sonata Mulattica).

No comments: