Tuesday, October 19, 2010

For Colored Girls Discussion: Day 12

Did you miss Monday's questions? Click here.

Questions from "pyramid" (pages 39-42):


1. The lady in purple and her friends meet a man they all find attractive. What is the best way to handle a situation like this?

2. The man chooses the lady in purple, but soon chases after her friends, who reject him. She wonders how long her friends will continue to hold out, knowing it's inevitable. Is she a realist or pessimistic, or something else? Why?

3. Are the two ladies in the lady in purple's pyramid true friends?

4. How does the man in the poem know that all he has to do is bide his time and that he can have the lady in purple's friends as his next flavor?

2 comments:

Keith Wilson said...

1. Never been in a situation like that, though I've always felt it weird that anyone could 'claim' another person.
2. I suppose she's a realist in this situation but it's not typical or in any way natural. It seems like she knows him and her friends well enough to know she shouldn't be with any of them.
3. I'd say no, but I suppose it depends largely on your values.
4. I'd say he sense insincerity in their rejections, or believes (rightly) that he has a certain power over them

evelyn.n.alfred said...

1. I don't know what the best situation would be, but I'm not competitive, so I'd probably exclude myself from being a choice.

2. Right, that's what I was thinking, yet she sticks with them both. Maybe at least without her friends her pyramid would be ruined.

3. I wouldn't want friends like that.

4. I think men have a knack for identifying the holes in women (or women, really) and use that knowledge in their favor when necessary.