Thursday, September 9, 2010

Triolets to Tankas

Triolets have been my thing, my poetry form thing, for a minute. Alas, it is time to move on. For awhile, I figured my next poetry form to tackle would be kyrielles, because they sound like songs and are French like triolets. However, tankas have snatched my affection away from the kyrielle, being the fan of alliteration...

*pumps brakes*

Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I was about to say that being a fan of alliteration, I liked the idea of switching Triolet Thursdays, to Tanka Thursdays, but that isn't exactly alliteration now, is it? The 't' sound in tanka, and the 't' sound in Thursday don't sound enough alike to truly follow the rules of alliteration. The same applies to the 't' in triolet.

*hand to forehead*

Feeling all types of fraudulent right now.

Alright, so it's better to say I just like having the two t's next to each other then. Oh, and I don't have to feel forced to rhyme with tankas. Yes, tankas. I did intend to talk about them at the beginning of all this.

Anyway, here is my first one:

Ancient Japanese
thirty-one flavored segments
uninterrupted
except for English line breaks
breaking the original.

6 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

That was kind of fun--informative too. Very neat.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Tanka-u. Get it.

Gosh, that was my lame attempt at a joke.

Doret said...

I am going to miss triolet Thursdays. How does a tanka poem work? Break it down for me slowly please.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Aww Doret. I'm sure I won't stray too far away from triolets. If one hits me, I be sure to post it. I didn't realize that anyone noticed my triolets. :-)

Tankas are 31 syllable poems, that are Japanese in origin. That's the short and sweet of it. I'm still learning myself though. Perhaps I should write lil tid bits on the days I post new tankas. You can learn with me.

Doret said...

Thank you and I really did enjoy triolets. They made me smile.

I suppose I could've googled tankas but I am just that lazy

evelyn.n.alfred said...

You could have googled it, but that's what I'm here for, to spark an interest in poetry. :-)