Saturday, September 25, 2010

National Book Festival 2010


Last year, the weather put a slight damper on the book festival because it was cold and rainy. This year, it was slightly kinder, with heat instead. However, the weather did not ruin my good time, it just slowed me down, made me sweat, and made me sleepy.


I had a chance to see all the authors I planned to see: Elizabeth Alexander, Margarita Engle, Marilyn Nelson, and Natasha Trethewey.


My visit to the book sales tent was deadly to my debit card, and it would have been worse had they actually had a wider selection of Natasha Tretheway's books. They only had Beyond Katrina, which is her newest book about the effects of Hurricane Katrina from the Mississippi Gulf Coast's point of view.

A highlight of the festival, besides meeting the authors, was hearing Natasha Trethewey say that she would be one of the faculty at Cave Canem next year...after having the courage to ask her about CC in a tent full of folks. I also got to ask her who her favorite poets were. She mentioned three people, but I unfortunately didn't write it down, dagnabbit! Lucky for me, the whole thing is taped, so I'll be able to watch her answer later once it's available. Today was a good day.

2 comments:

Notorious Spinks said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself today. Wish I could have been there.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Thanks. You would have loved it.