Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blessing the Boats

While I was on the airplane Wednesday, I read all of Lucille Clifton's collection of poetry, Blessing the Boats. I went through the book and marked the ones that I liked immedeatly on the first reading, sometimes I would stop and write a poem of my own.

I feel like creating a list of the ones I like best.

The collection is divided into sections of her previously published poetry books, plus one section of new poems.

new poems(2000)

moonchild
donor
jasper texas 1998
what i think when i ride the train

next (1988)

album
why some people be mad at me sometimes
sorrow song
my dream about time
shapeshifter poems

quilting (1991)

quilting
white lady
poem in praise of menstruation
poem to my uterus
to my last period
wishes for sons

The Terrible Stories (1996)

1994
what did she know, when did she know it

*******

I left out one section, the book of light, because I didn't have any favorites in that part of the book. Based on my favorites, my next book of lucille's to pick up is quilting.

No comments: