Friday, July 2, 2010

47 by Walter Mosley


So...I had this idea a while back to participate in a book sharing experience with Walter Mosley's YA book, 47, but it never quite happened. I got the idea from Where's George?

I imagined giving the book to another person, who would read it, write notes inside the book, perhaps create a blog post about it, and then send it on to another reader who would repeat the process. At the end, the book would come back to me, and I could read the notes written inside, and make comments on the posts that each reader blogged. I figured it would be reasonable for each reader to keep the book for a month, before passing it to someone else, and then the 12th person would mail it back to me. Then, the process would repeated again with another book.

Are you interested yet? No? How about I give you a summary of the book first, before you turn me down. This summary is from the School Library Journal:

The intense, personal slave narrative of 14-year-old Forty-seven becomes allegorical when a mysterious runaway slave shows up at the Corinthian Plantation. Tall John, who believes there are no masters and no slaves, and who carries a yellow carpet bag of magical healing potions and futuristic devices, is both an inspiration and an enigma. He claims he has crossed galaxies and centuries and arrived by Sun Ship on Earth in 1832 to find the one chosen to continue the fight against the evil Calash. The brutal white overseer and the cruel slave owner are disguised Calash who must be defeated. Tall John inserts himself into Forty-seven's daily life and gradually cedes to him immortality and the power, confidence, and courage to confront the Calash to break the chains of slavery. With confidence, determination, and craft, Tall John becomes Forty-seven's alter ego, challenging him and inspiring him to see beyond slavery and fight for freedom. Time travel, shape-shifting, and intergalactic conflict add unusual, provocative elements to this story. And yet, well-drawn characters; lively dialogue filled with gritty, regional dialect; vivid descriptions; and poignant reflections ground it in harsh reality. Older readers will find the blend of realism, escapism, and science fiction intriguing.–Gerry Larson, Durham School of the Arts, NC Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.



Sounds good, right? If you liked Kindred by Octavia E. Butler, I think you would like this book. Even though it's a YA book, any adult can appreciate this story. It would be great if someone made a graphic novel version of it.

So what do you say, do you want to participate? Leave me a comment.

15 comments:

Toya said...

You always have the greatest ideas Evelyn. can't wait to see how this turns out. Great way to connect book lovers!

Vizionheiry said...

lol@Toya commenting but not accepting the challenge

notice I did the same...

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Double Lawd. What am I going to do with the two of you ?
*notifying my minions*

Pagan Topologist said...

This is a fascinating idea. I am inclined to ask to participate, but my schedule and activities are so demanding that I cannot promise to finish a book in a month. But, subject to that caveat, if you want a white 66 year old mathematician/sf fan in the mix, I am available.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

It would interesting to see what you thought about the book, Pagan. It's a short book, I bet you could read it faster than you might think. What if you read as much as you could in a month, and then just mail it at the end. If it intrigued you enough to finish, you could always read it at the library or buy your own copy.

Are you okay with that?

Pagan Topologist said...

I am OK with that, although I am not going to begin it until I finish _Who Fears Death_. On the other hand, I have no objections at all to buying my own copy.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

You should have plenty of time to read Nnedi's book (which I need to finish myself), because four people on Twitter volunteered, that would put you at #5 if you are still interested.

Let me know. Oh, and thanks for commenting. Welcome to my blog.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I got your last comment Pagan, but I didn't publish it at your request.

Seven more people left to find.

:-)

Ecobatt said...

Count me in Evelyn, sounds like a project right up my alley.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Okay I need to update my comments with the folks that are going to participate or I will forget the order.

Taryn #1
R4P #2
AfroF #3
Robotto #4
Pagan #5
JayTee #6
Marie #7

MsALWalker said...

This is me raising my hand to participate. There's one caveat re blogging about it. My blog is about my bucket list, not reading or books; however, I think being in this unique scenario . . . well, I could make it fit. Also,do we have to read it in the order you've established, or can we read it on our own time?

evelyn.n.alfred said...

You don't have to blog about it. You could write notes inside the book too.

Potentially you could read the book at any time, but it won't be mailed to you until it was your turn.

Are you in?

MsALWalker said...

I'm in. 8 is my lucky number.

Emerson Zora said...

If I can add sticky notes (I am number nine—the margins might be full), I am in! So excited! :)

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I just hope they don't fall out.

:-)