Saturday, April 3, 2010

NaPoWriMo: Poem #3

Sunshine

squinting in the sun shine, harsh and unkind
shading my eyes don't want to go blind
searching for shadows sun/blocking my mind


* * * * * * *

Inside Lighthead, a collection of poems by Terrance Hayes, I saw this unique poetry form. The above poem is my attempt to imitate this form. Not sure what the form is called, but the way it was situated in the book, it gave the poem the ability to be read three different ways: as two separate poems, and then joining together into one poem.

I'm not sure if I explained that clearly. Take a look at the poem “Hide” by Hayes and it should make sense then.

P.S. Read the poem on the left first,
then the one on the right,
and then read the whole thing across.

Edit: I found out on April 14th that this poem form is called a cleave poem.

5 comments:

Wayne Pitchko said...

i like your words Evelyn

makeda42 said...

"Don't want to go blind" Yes, indeed. A real fear for a writer/reader.

Also thanks for the link to Terrance Hayes; it's been a while since he was in New Orleans. I have one of his earlier books and I'm glad to see that he is still publishing.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

thank you Wayne, and you're welcome makeda. i was unfamiliar with Terrance up until a few days ago.

rallentanda said...

You makeda me laf:)

flaubert said...

Evelyn,
Good!
Pamela