Saturday, April 24, 2010

I want to have a blog contest


I've seen other blogs have contests and it looks like a lot of fun. I don't know exactly how I'm supposed to run one, so be gentle.

Let me explain my reason for the contest.

I planned to have my students read Keesha's House in celebration of April being National Poetry Month. I gave them a choice of four different books that were all novels composed strictly of poems, and Keesha's House was the one they selected. Out of the five classes that I teach, they are my favorite Literature class, so I thought I'd surprise them by buying them each a copy.

Silly me, it didn't even cross my mind that I should run the book by administration first to make sure it was okay. It wasn't. So now I have a class set of books that I don't feel like returning. Might as well give them away to poetry lovers, eh?

In order to win the book, this is what you need to do:
*You have to read my NaPoWriMo poetry and tell me which poems are the good ones.
*Pick five (or more) of them.
*Tell me why you selected those particular poems.

At the end of the contest...May 15th, I'll have a random selection and pick a winner. Uh, yeah, I think that's it. Oh, leave your email or I'll have no way to get in contact with you.

9 comments:

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Heyyyyy...nobody's responding. Are my directions not clear, or does no one want the book, or am I not advertising correctly?

JayTee said...

I want in! jkgadson at hotmail.com. I don't have time to read all the poems right now, but I'll be back to do it soon!

Jara said...

Count me in. :) Your directions are more than clear and you are quite generous.

JayTee said...

Okay I'm back to win my book! lol

You gotta keep:

"(Not so) Weird News". I think I picked the ones I wanted you to keep based on what I wanted to hear more about. So this poem packed a quick punch but I want more. So I picked this one with the hopes that you might open it up and expand on it.

"hero poem"-- because it made me feel like sunshine when I read it.

"Latitude" because I liked the idea of the line between the "us" in the poem being compared to a latitude line. Another one I want to hear more about.

The poem that starts "The marionette's body is limp"...There are some great moments in the poem especially the "canteloupe fringe on her dress/has faded like paper and dreams"....wow.

I also enjoyed "don't peel the onion". I thought the poem had a little attitude which was nice. I think the piece can stand on its own or could be nice to incorporate into a totally different poem.

I like "this poem quivers" because the poem wasn't scared in any cliched ways. It was very original.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Thank you JayTee. If no one else responds, the book is yours.

MissAttitude said...

I think the instructions are too much work for some people. Picking 5 poems and explaining why you picked them. I like the idea but when I enter contests I like to enter by just commenting.

That being said I really liked Trapped, in the Composition Book because it's a feeling I could understand.

I also liked Poetry she Has Many Names, dear poetry (a bop), not so weird news and what will it take (because it speaks to mending fences and it's so important to reconcile right away, not just when you're on the verge of something tragic) I liked Dear Poetry becuase I liked how you interwove the lyrics of I want You (a song that I love) into the poem.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Thank you JayTee! Three of the ones you picked, I also like.

The Latitude poem is a cleave poem...which I picked up from your boy Terrance Hayes.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Ah MissAttitude, thank you for the insight. It's too much work to win. LOL! I didn't even think of that.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

Thank you JayTee and MissAttitude for reading my poetry and entering my first contest.

You both win a copy of the book!!!

JayTee, I will email you to get an address to sent it to...Miss Attitude, add another comment with your email and the book is yours.