Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"I Wish I Wrote That!" Wednesday

As an aspiring writer (and therefore, a voracious reader), I often find myself reading other authors and saying to myself "I wish I wrote that!" I'm sooooo impressed by an author's ability to construct words into meaningful and fresh sentences, that I'd like to highlight them here on my blog each Wednesday. ********************************************************************************
The Bluest Eye
by Toni Morrison
Plume
Page 39

It was as though some mysterious all-knowing master had given each one a cloak of ugliness to wear, and they had each accepted it without question...And they took the ugliness in their hands, threw it as a mantle over them, and went about the world with it.

********************************************************************************

I tried a vlog for today's edition of "I Wish I Wrote That!" Wednesday. Toni Morrison is amazing.

video

2 comments:

Doret said...

That passage is ridculously sick. Morrison makes the reader feel and see that scene, all without telling. Crazy good. Hopefully Bill Cosby won't read this because he probably won't approve all this urban vernacular I am throwin up in here.

And the Vlog was good. Its shows how much you really love that scene.

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I don't think Bill passes through here, so you are safe.

And thanks!