Thursday, August 13, 2009

Triolet Thursday

I need to challenge myself to write weekly poems. I'm a poet right? To be a poet, one must write poetry.

I don't force myself to rhyme or use specific forms. I prefer free verse. The free-ness of it.

There's something to be said though, for being able to use and at least be knowledgeable about the different poetry forms available. More tricks up your poetry sleeve, yes?

I discovered triolets after reading A Kick in the Head by Paul B. Janeczko. I like the rhythm and repetition of a triolet. Do you think I can become a triolet expert? How many triolets would I have to write to become a master triolet-er? Fifty? One hundred? How about one every Thursday?

It would be fun if you could give me topic ideas to write about. *hint, hint*

Are you ready?
* * * * * * * * * *

Triolet #1
I'm needing something good to eat
magically appear on a dish
no beef or pork, I don't eat meat
I'm needing something good to eat
Red Velvet cake would be so sweet
not having to cook, is my wish
I'm needing something good to eat
magically appear on a dish

***********************
video

6 comments:

Doret said...

What is a triolet?

evelyn.n.alfred said...

It's a specific type of poem, sorta like a pantoum...it has a particular rhyme scheme and lines 1,4, and 7 repeat as well as 2 & 8. Click on the link up there in the post, it might be able to explain it better than I can.

Saadia Me'Chel said...

Maybe you can write a triolet about Maxwell! However, I'm sure you've already thought of that :-)

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I hadn't actually Saadia. I'll write a Maxwell triolet next Thursday. Will you come back to see it?

JH_Poetry said...

I think I got it? A triolet is like a haiku but it's repetive in three's about the same subject. Does it suppose to be humorous? Oh well. I must try it myself someday. haha

evelyn.n.alfred said...

I don't see the connection of a triolet to a haiku, perhaps you can explain it to me, but you're right it is repetative. I think it does lend itself to be humorous, but that's probably my personality more than the triolet form. I think you should try it.